Not your typical bread a pudding. This can be made in a 9X13 Pyrex casserole dish, or 8 individual 8 oz circular ramekins.
¼ cup butter
2 leeks, thinly sliced (pale green parts only)
1 (6-ounce) package fresh baby spinach
1 (18-ounce) loaf challah bread, cut into small cubes
2 cups chopped cooked ham
2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
1 (5-ounce) package shredded Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
5 large eggs
2 cups heavy whipping cream
½ cup whole milk
¼ cup Dijon mustard
- In large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add leeks and cook 3 to 4 minutes. Add spinach and cook another 2 to 3 minutes, or until spinach is wilted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spread half of bread cubes evenly over bottom of greased 13-by-9-inch casserole dish. Top evenly with half of ham. Spread half of spinach mixture over ham.
- In medium bowl, combine cheeses and thyme. Sprinkle half of this mixture over spinach.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, milk and mustard. Pour half of egg mixture evenly over casserole. Repeat layers, beginning with bread and ending with egg mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight. When ready to bake, let sit out 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees, uncovered, for 45 to 60 minutes.